Saturday, May 22, 2010

Bum Knees and Busted BBQs

I promised more today, and so here goes.

Yesterday was the Boss's birthday. She turned twenty two and is just as hot and smart as the day we got married. I maintain that I am the only mistake she's ever made.

We were originally going to go to dinner with some friends and then to see Iron Man 2, but the plans fell through, so we just had a quiet night at home.

Woke up this morning and got ready to go to the neighborhood clean up and BBQ. I was supposed to take my grill. The last time I used it we made Teryaki chicken, and that really gums up the bottom, so I scrapped it out and noticed some corrosion on the burner. When I went to fire it up, the burner sputtered and then shot flames out the blowback valve.

Long story short, fifty bucks and 2 hours later I got my grill over to the park just in time to find out they didn't need me after all. If there was a prize for last place, I'd finish second.

While that was going on my mother called to tell me that my niece, who is training for consideration to get into the US Olympic gymnastics program, had landed badly on a dismount from the beam and had collapsed to the ground in agony. She began to go into shock and was taken from the gym by ambulance to the emergency room. The doctors said that she had ruptured her patellar tendon and they decided to do emergency surgery this afternoon before it could swell too much. If they waited, it would have taken weeks for the swelling to go back down, and it would complicate her recovery. So she's going to be spending the next month and a half in a cast.

If you listen really hard you can almost hear the train whistle echoing down the tunnel....

No comments:

Post a Comment