Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Did That Just Happen?

And still one more sign that the world is going to Hell in a FedEx envelope...


After I got done with class last night the Boss stopped at a sandwich shop to get me a bite to eat. We went in and there were two friendly girls waiting behind the counter to help us. One of them was particularly chatty and asked if it was still warm outside. (It was slightly warmer than average yesterday, but by then it was way past sundown and colder than a Siberian Well-diggers...you get the point).

"No", said the Boss. "It's gotten quite cold.

"Oh, that's too bad", replied the girl. "I don't mind snow, but I want the cold to go away. What did the Groundhog say this morning?"

"Six more weeks of winter", I said. "Apparently, the 'Global Warming' people haven't gotten to the Groundhogs yet."

****Editor's Note
I spent most of the morning thinking about a post that explains the long-standing enmity between groundhogs (who are pro-winter traditionalists) and gerbils (who are toiling in the cause of global warming) though I decided against it. But it may appear somewhere down the line...
****

The second girl took this opportunity to enter the conversation.

"Yeah? I'm still not sure I really believe in that stuff, you know?"

"You don't?" I asked, expecting to hear her launch into a anti-Al Gore tirade against climate change.

"Nope", she said seriously. "I mean, I guess it might be true, but I'm just not convinced that a Groundhog can change the weather. How do they do it, really?"

It was at this point that I realized that I was going to need a trip to the emergency room to reattach the large portion of my tongue and lower lip that I had just bitten off in order to not laugh out loud.

The Boss and I were still giggling about it this morning. It was the blondest thing I have ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment