Monday, February 1, 2010

Moon (or something) River

One of my favorite episodes of the Simpson's shows Bart, Milhouse, and the Bully, Nelson Munz going on vacation and stopping in Branson, Missouri. Bart says Branson is "like Vegas if it were run by Ned Flanders". At Nelson's insistence, they stop at an Andy Williams show. The scene cuts to the boys sitting in the theater and Nelson is crying gently while Andy sings "Moon River".

"Just when I thought he wasn't going to sing it, " he says, "Then BAM! Second encore! Bravo!"

That is how this weekend went. Just when I thought I was out of material for today's blog post, then Bam! Here comes Bub.


It is his birthday today. Contrary to what I have previously posted, he was not actually three until today (Cut me some slack, he was only three months shy of three when I started this blog, it was a good enough guess for government work).

He has been very good lately about the potty training thing, he hasn't had an accident here in quite a while. Today, he even went by himself twice (and fortunatly didn't miss) and got himself dressed with no help. I thought it was a remarkable improvement and am very proud of him.

When Beak got done with work, she came to pick him up and sat on the couch for a minute to chat. I told her that I was really struggling with something to write about today. I'm pretty preoccupied with the swirling possibilites that are converging on us, and it has been tough to focus on much of anything else.

Beak (like the Boss) is ever supportive of my writing, and told me not to worry, I'd find something to write about. I changed the subject and told her how proud of Bub I was for going to the potty all by himself. A minute or so later, Beak jumped off the couch like a scalded cat shouting, "Bub! What's the matter with you? Are you kidding me?"

It took me a minute to notice that she had a large, wet, soggy spot on the knee of her jeans. His own little Moon (or something) River, right down my sister's leg.

All I could do was laugh. "That is absolutely going on the blog," I told her.

For once it wasn't me.

Happy Birthday, Bub. Three years ago, my sister gave you life a little before you were due. Today, she gave you the gift of not ending you before you're due as well. When you're old enough to read this, you better tell her you love her.

I'm gonna go find some Andy Williams to listen to.

1 comment:

  1. I have the complete collection of Andy Williams if you need to borrow it but it is in the old vinyl record form like me.

    ReplyDelete