Monday, February 8, 2010

Worst and Best Commercials

Frankly, the hype of Superbowl commercials has blown way overboard in recent years. I think the last memorable one was years ago. My all time favorite was that Snickers commercial awhile back where the Quarterback got a concussion and thought he was Batman. They sat him on the bench and took his helmet away and the tag line was "Not going anywhere for a while?"

I thought it was funny as H@!! but some group of professional complainers whined about how it was insensitive to people with head injuries and made Snickers take it off the air. I've suffered as many head injuries as any three people(that ought to be readily apparent to my readers), and I wasn't offended. PC thugs.

Anyway, I usually watch the commercials with trepidation. At least there were fewer sappy jewelry store spots this year (you already know how I feel about those).


The "Bad"

Easy. The runaway winner was that crappy Audi bit with the "Green Police". If you think that the best way to get me to spend seventy thousand dollars on a car is by going through my trash and threatening me to "go Green or else"; you need to think again. I am now less likely to buy their stupid car, even if I did have that kind of bread.

I dare the green police to go through my trash. They'll run into the same problem the identity thieves have at my house. When I toss Squizzle's dirty diapers, I don't roll em up, I just pitch 'em straight into the can. If someone wants to dig through that to steal my ID or trash me for not being "green"; I say enjoy!

Dishonorable Mentions:
The Talking Babies commercials. Disturbing. Very disturbing.

The Clydesdale spot. It's over guys. You can't beat a dead horse, but you can keep making lame attempts to sell beer with one. Time to try something new.

Any and all commercials with dudes in tightey-whiteys. We all know that it is a Man Card requirement to spend time in your drawers, but the Manly Manual says NOTHING about doing it in front of the largest TV audience of the year. And what about the fact that three or four of them all went this same route? If I was a company that paid that much for a thirty second spot and the next bit up was virtually the same thing...I'd be gettin' my money back. Again I ask you, WHO WRITES THIS STUFF?


Is there anyone in advertising with an original idea?

Yes. There is.


For the first time in about a hundred years, I saw a clever, original, laugh out loud, funny commercial! I couldn't believe it. I laughed for five minutes, then hit rewind on the Tivo to watch it again. Any guesses?

First, the Honorable Mention:
The Betty White/Abe Vagoda Snickers commercial. Funny. And it had Abe Vagoda. He's the Tobi. It is his place to hope for his people!

****Editor's Note
If you did not laugh at that, you need to shut off your computer and go watch the greatest movie ever made; "Joe Versus the Volcano". Do it now. Shame on you for not seeing it before.
****

....And the Winner.

Punxsatawny Polamalu.

When he gets scared of his shadow, six more weeks of football (I wish). That huge mane, hiding in a tree stump. "Jerk him outta there" the guy shouts. Very funny. Original. Awesome.

Of course it might have been more realistic to do Punxsatawny McNabb who is scared of his shadow and throws six more interceptions (Please, let my Eagles get rid of Donovan so they can be the next beneficiary of the Cubbie Curse. They haven't won in forever. They're due.)

Eagle jokes aside, this was easily the funniest commercial in a long time.

Anybody else have a favorite?

3 comments:

  1. My favorites: puxsatawny troy, lebron / dwight McDonalds, Google search. I also disliked the green police bit. And the underwear. Sick. Absolutely sick. -Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris and I also agreed that we would never buy a green police car. I also really disliked the superbowl shuffle old dudes commercial. Whatever it was for. I can't remember. But the guy on a rascal getting a spray tan in the face was not a pretty picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, forgot about that one. That was my childhood hero, Jim McMahon.

    Ouch. Dude must've really, really, really needed the money. He had to be forced to do the original superbowl shuffle video (and should have fought a little harder to avoid it) so I can't imagine why he'd agree to this one.

    Sad to see the Legend that is Jimmy Mac crumble so fast.

    The Census spot was another one that wasted time in my life I'll never get back. Anything with Ed Begley in it goes into the same recycle bin as "green" stuff.

    ReplyDelete