Monday, May 31, 2010

Up a Tree

Went to a family function last night at the home of the Boss's parents. It was a good time, if not a little crowded. We finished family business and calender arrangement, then sent the kids out to play while we did some visiting. After a while the monkeys (there were 10 or 12 of 'em last night) all started filtering back into the house to get ready to leave. As soon as it started getting dark, the Boss and I were getting ready to go ourselves when it dawned on the Boss that we hadn't seen Peff for a while.

"Go tell your brother that it's time to come in and get ready to go", she told Haggis.

After a minute she came in with an obviously irritated Peff.

"What's the matter with you?" I asked.

"They put me in a tree and I couldn't get down and no one could hear me and I'm mad!" He shouted, near tears. Apparently, his sisters and some cousins put him up in one of Grandpa's trees and left him for dead. He was more than a little upset with them. What irritated me was that I had asked Haggis about a dozen times to go back out and keep an eye on the kids and she managed to avoid doing it by hiding away out of sight. Then when I got after her about it, she started sulking and getting mad at me like I was some kind of jerk for expecting her to take responsibility. After Haggis left the room, my sister in law, who is a veteran of three teenage daughters laughed and said "I've been there before; it's normal and she'll eventually grow out of it." My reply was that she will if she lives long enough. Her current life expectancy is not looking so good. Next week would be a pretty good goal to shoot for.

But on the good side, "Up a Tree" seemed like a pretty cool post title, no?

We were supposed to go with my side to the cemetery in Orem where my grandmother and uncle are buried, and then to West Jordan City Cemetery where my brother is to do the annual sod-trimming and headstone scrub, but the Boss spent all last night dealing with work related problems. She has not had a single night of uninterrupted sleep in at least a month. I begged out to let her sleep in a little today, but she's been getting text messages and phone calls non-stop all day long.

Funny, she was almost sure she asked to use a vacation day today. I guess that means she's only required to spend three quarters of her day solving problems instead of all of it. I HATE CELL PHONES!!!!! The worst part is they call and say, "I'm sorry to bother you..."

Then don't. It's not that tough. Figure it out yourselves, 'cause the Good Lord gave you a brain before you coated it with malted hops and bong resin.

Along employment lines, we have some big things in the works that we are really hoping work out (Isn't that a familiar sentence?). Any spare prayers you have or Job leads you might provide or just plain old encouragement would be welcome right now.

Since it's a holiday today, I'll keep it short. I hope you all have an excellent Memorial day and it charges the old batteries for another week at the old grindstone.

No comments:

Post a Comment