Monday, January 4, 2010

Post Holiday Bits and Pieces



Well. That was a long two weeks, wasn't it? The girls went back to school this morning (HOORAY!!!!), and Bub and Reaggers came back too. I don't really feel all that recharged, to be honest with you. About the only difference between having Beak's kids and having the girls home was the type of shows on TV. We went from Max and Ruby to Zach and Cody; and from Spongebob to Hannah. And iCarly (shudder). I thought Max and Ruby was inane. An hour of iCarly and it was time for iwannaputmy headthroughawall. Whatever happened to Elmer Fudd and Roadrunner?

My salvation came on New Years Eve when the Stooges marathon came on. Now, that's quality programing! Even Peff decided that the Three Stooges are funny. The downside is that I have spent the last three days hearing "Nyuk,Nyuk,Nyuk!" and "Why I oughta...!".

Puzilla may be the first person in the world to cry her way through a Curly, Larry and Moe short. We were watching the one where the desperate woman leaves her baby on the porch for the Stooges to take care of. Puzey got so mad. She started sobbing like her six year old heart would break and said to me, "What a mean Mommy! She's not nice to leave her baby like that. I don't like this show!"

She cried for the rest of the fifteen minutes and all the face slapping and eye gouges in the world were not enough to change her mind. That mommy was mean!!

Puzey actually gets the award for the line of the week, too. The Boss had to go in and do her month end inventory count and so I let the girls stay up until midnight if they could. Puzey is such a scrawny kid that if her schedule gets out of whack, she gets headaches and nausea.

About 11:30 or so she comes into the kitchen and says to me, "I think that New Years is not a good holiday for little girls whose names start with the letter 'P' and end with 'uzilla'. It makes them sick and they want to go to bed." Who says first graders have trouble with spelling?

I have to agree with her though. 2009 made me kinda queasy, too. It beat 2008, but not by much. I hope this year goes a little better. I think we're due for a good year. Slumps can't last forever, can they?

(Insert random Cub fan joke here)


Saturday morning we loaded everyone into the cars and went to Burley for my grandmother's birthday party. They held it at a very nice little steak house. I got to visit with cousins that I hadn't seen in years. Grandma seemed quite surprised to find about 70 people waiting in the restraunt for her.

Since about half the family was too far away to make it, it dawned on me just how big we have gotten. The days of squishing everyone into Grandma's basement for thanksgiving dinner are LONG GONE. If we tried to sit everyone down for dinner now, we'd need the Delta Center. I teased Grandma that she'd never read Abraham's promised blessing of having posterity "like the sands of the sea" quite the same way again. She and Grandpa may not have a beach yet, but they have a sandbox big enough to play a pretty good game of volleyball.

It was fun to see everyone and being in Burley reminded me of some more Grandpa stories that I'll post when I get the time. For now, I'll see about posting some of the holiday pictures we took over the last two weeks.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment