Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Bacon Juice

Here's another one that Jamie Oliver can try on for size...

I know I'm an evil man when it comes to nutrition. My personal philosophy has always been that just as many people have heart attacks while jogging as people eating big macs, why not enjoy yourself? My proclivities for "creative" menus are well documented. But this morning, I really tried. I pulled some bacon (a very rare treat) out of the fridge and cooked that up.

How big a treat is bacon? I gave them chocolate cake for breakfast...they didn't even say thank you. I put bacon in the pan and they started a parade between the kitchen and dining room while chanting, "Bacon! Bacon! Bacon!"

They like bacon.

Since I didn't have an empty can in the garbage, I poured the grease into a mug and set it on the counter while scrambling the eggs. I put cheese on the eggs, and poured the milk and the kids were in heaven.

While they ate, I sat down to work on my first post. After a while the kids came in looking for seconds and Reaggers found the grease mug.

"Hot Chocolate!" she shouted with glee.

"No, it's not", said Peff. "That's bacon juice."

"Even better!" Reaggers shouted. "Uncle Fatdaddy, can we drink the bacon juice?"

I cave in to that, and I'll have a "Reaggers Has a Heart Attack" post to go with "Dad Has Two Heart Attacks". Tempting, but no.

I quit.
Again.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, E.B. will be a franchisee if you want to market bacon juice. She once ate 16 slices of bacon and vanilla ice cream for breakfast, with 2 sausages as chasers. Oh, and a cantaloupe cube for garnish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was convinced that Grandma Somerville used to make bacon powder biscuits with the bacon grease she always had in a can on the stove. I figured it was some complicated grandma only move to be able to turn the grease into the powder that the biscuits required, but they were so delicious it was worth the effort. I wish they were bacon powder.

    ReplyDelete