Saturday, April 17, 2010

Zoe is Back

The Boss" is watching her sister's dog again which means a fresh round of "Can we get a dog, Dad?" is being repeated to me every thirty seconds by my kids, one at a time in order of age.

Every day I pray that Squizzle never learns to talk.

They are stoking up the begging fires, but I've got my stock answers and retorts ready to go anytime they want to roll.

"Dad. can we get a Chihuahua?" started Moe, hopefully.

"Heck no!" I replied. "I've been trying to keep rodents OUT of the house. A Chihuahua is just a rat with a short hair cut."

"How about a teacup poodle then?" queried Haggis.

"Um...if a Chihuahua is a rat with short hair, then a poodle is a rat with bad hair."

"I want a dog like Scooby Doo" offered Peff. "That's a big dog".

"Uh-hu. Big enough that it eats more than Squizzle. Heck, a dog that big could eat Squizzle."

I decided I'd save the discussion-killing imagery of cleaning up after such a mutt for a later day when they come to me with stronger arguments than, "But we really want one!"

"I want one" is too easily blocked by the classic retort, "People in Hades want a cool drink of ice water; I guess you'll all be disappointed for a while."

The kids really hate that one, but it always makes me laugh and they haven't found a way to counter it yet.

They'll never learn.

2 comments:

  1. Well, in my opinion all kids should have a dog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the owner of Zoe, who was a "suprise" gift and friend of the mother of a another "gifted" dog...Not everybody needs a dog. Feel free to borrow mine. SHe is really small, so you won't have to spend along time wondering why you wanted a dog while you clean up the tiny, yucky mess.

    ReplyDelete