Thursday, December 17, 2009

Now what?






I saw this week in the paper where Bronco Mendenhall said that he went to Oregon State just so he could play against BYU, and after he beat them his only thought was "Now what?"

That's kind of where I am this morning. I've spent the better part of the last day wondering if I ought to hang up my keyboard now and retire. How am I ever going to beat that post? I'm still laughing and it happened to me. There was this kind of mental disconnect while it was happening that made it seem like out-of-body fiction and that detachment got cemented in my mind when I wrote it down. I really did freeze when Peff asked me that question; and even after I figured out what he was actually talking about it took me about thirty seconds to start laughing. The man who has something to say about everything found himself stunned speechless.

It was not a sensation I expect to become accustomed to.

But the question remains, "Now what?" I mean, what if that post is my "Ender's Game" and nothing I ever write will be able to compete with it? I don't want to be JD Salinger, afraid that another story might mess up the legacy of my Holden Caulfield.

"Gosh, that last post was OK, Fatdaddy, but it was no 'Dad Has Two Heart Attacks'."

I don't think I can take that kind of rejection, McFly. But when I brought this up to a couple of people yesterday, I got the same response from both of them.

"Are you nuts? You don't want to ask that question, because you know that these kids will find a way to top that, and when they do, you will pay for it. It will probably hurt. A lot."

And I suppose they are right. I started this blog to document what I considered to be the most destructive force in the known universe and these little monkeys have yet to ascend to the status of a Black Hole. But I can't underestimate their capability to do so. Please be patient, though. It might take a while to get back to yesterday's level.

In the meantime, I posted some pics of yesterday's gingerbread house project. Uncle C decided to spend the day with Reaggers and Bub, so it was just Peff, Squizzles and Motor. I think they did a fine job. The "Christmas Lights" running on the front and back eaves are Motor's idea, and I think they turned out all right.

Merry Christmas!

5 comments:

  1. Are you sure that you let the kids help with that house? I don't think we've ever made one that looked so nice...Way to go! -Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I helped get the patterns started, but my fat fingers are too chubby to stick most of that stuff to the icing. Particularly those little "lights". I had the boys stick them on and then slid them one way or the other to get them in the right spot.

    It also didn't hurt that the house was pre-assembled so I didn't have to fight to get the gingerbread lined up and stuck together. That is where I always foul them up.

    We found them over at the walmart and they were 9 or 10 bucks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You win Dad, uncle and cousin of the year.... after u p and then a gingerbread house...... how do you keep going???????

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brown liquor. Lots and lots of brown liquor.

    Oh, alright. The Boss says I'm not allowed to lie. To be honest, I'm pretty borderline most days.

    Before I started this little blog/journal project I was going a kinda nutso. I got mad a lot and frustration was my middle name.

    Nowadays, I might get a little upset now and then, but once I start to think how I can turn it into a post, I'm OK.

    ReplyDelete