Friday, March 19, 2010

And A Little Child Shall Lead Them

Standings

Thanks to a BRUTAL day of upsets, most of us took somewhat of a beating. And just like I told you, the winners for the day were those who tossed sports acumen out the window and went with what they liked.

And the result...

The winner on the first day is a three year old who managed to tag 11 out of 16 games including Old Dominion, St Mary's and the Murray State upsets. And before you laugh, it could have been worse. If Villanova hadn't managed a last second Heimlich maneuver to prevent itself from choking to death and San "Go" Diego "Go" had hit their desperation three at the buzzer, my three year old nephew would have popped 13 of 16 games and been whipping us all by a landslide too steep to think about. Congratulations Beckett. We bow before thy prognostication prowess!!

I imagine your old man will be pointing this one out to the boys at the office, huh?

It gets better.

The top five is a who's who of college basketball neophytes. In second place is my seven year old daughter Puzilla; who picked nothing but underdogs for the whole tournament. While she only got 7 of 16 right (which is a pretty amazing cover for the 'dogs) the "upset special" bonus for the first round has her sitting just one point back of Beckett. Peff sits next in third, with ten correct picks and an 81. Astonishing results for a child who based most of his picks on which mascot was capable of eating the other one.

In fourth place is my sister in law who based her picks on what she could remember of basketball from when she was at Utah State in the 90's. Hence she did take a shot to the bracket when UNLV got punched in the face, but is still doing quite well for someone who hasn't even watched a game since Tark the Shark was piling up NCAA violations to go with his championship. She picked ten of sixteen for 74 points.

Yours truly was feeling quite good about himself, calling the Old Dominion smack down of Notre Dame, hitting a much needed BYU triumph (was JFred the man or what?), and then...and then the proverbial excrement went into the oscillator.

Thank you ever so much, Georgetown. I have always hated your crummy university and your arrogant, classless ball teams; but I saw you play on TV the other day, and you looked soooo good and no one could stop talking about you and your first round game was against a team the was a nine seed in their CONFERENCE tournament, and...and...and you were in the same bracket as Kansas. The worst chokers in the history of all chokers. You had a walk to the Final Four! How in the name of all that is decent on earth could you look ever so good a week ago and today....AGHHH!!!

Allow me to express my downfall in the form of a Haiku:

'Zo was a Hoya
Ewing and AI were too.
I still hate them all!!!


Or as Captain George Taylor so memorably puts it in "Planet of the Apes"(and I really think he was talking about my bracket here):

"You Maniacs! You Blew it up! Oh, Damn you! Damn you all to hell!"

I still got 11 for 16 (tied for most with Beckett), but my 61 points has me well off the pace, and now one whole side of my bracket has been laid waste.

"Let the name of Georgetown be stricken from every temple, monument and obelisk. Let no man speak the name lest they be taken in treason. Let no one ever pick them again. Place no trust in their seeding. Have no faith in their bracket. So let it be written...So let it be done!"
Pharaoh Fatdaddy the First

We shan't mention the bottom dwellers at this juncture; today is another day, with upset specials galore. Though for honor sake, it should be mentioned that several husbands should probably be cooking dinner for their much better halves tonight. I'd like to be a fly on the dining room wall in a few places when these scores get posted!

Group Standings
R Team Score Correct
1 Dawnell Moon (2) 85 11
2 Puzey 84 7
3 Peff 81 10
4 Jil Bircher (1) 74 10
5 Fatdaddy 61 11
6 Jil Bircher (3) 60 10
7 Anne Taylor 56 10
8 Kevin Kelly (2) 54 10
9 Jen Clark 53 10
9 Jil Bircher (2) 53 9
11 Jason Anderson 50 10
12 Dawnell Moon (1)49 10
12 Moe 49 10
14 Brian Beebe 47 9
15 The Boss 46 9
16 Hollie Downs 43 8
16 Kevin Kelly (3) 43 9
16 Mike Kelly 43 9
19 Haggis 39 8
19 Squizzles 39 9
21 Jess Clark 37 8
22 Kevin Kelly (1) 36 8
23 Mandy Kelly 32 8
24 Corbin Taylor 31 8
25 tim kelly 26 7


PS I really don't mind that Georgetown blew up my bracket. It was worth it to see those pompous cretins get popped in the schnozz. If only Robert Morris could have held on....

3 comments:

  1. Should I give up now? Or later? I'm pretty much sure I suck. -Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Naw, today is another day. But dude, you oughta be makin' your wife some dinner. She's awesome! Call me and I'll get you a redbox so you can make it a date.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo Hoo! I won an extra 2 years of life...I was at USU in the 80's...

    I sure did enjoy chucking toliet paper and pennies at UNLV, though. Still have my Tark mask somewhere...

    ReplyDelete