Thursday, March 18, 2010

What Time Is It?

It's Game Time, Baby!!!

There are very few days each year when I feel blessed to be a worthless layabout. Usually I am wracked with guilt and angst that my wife is doing all the bread winning, while I play with four year olds.

Today...Not so much. I am a football guy through and through. I'll watch any football that comes on TV, NFL, College, High school, Indoor, Canadian, Pee-wee, whatever. Since I spent winters barricaded in a wrestling room for the first half of my life, Basketball (to me) was mostly the sport for kids that didn't have the guts to go out for wrestling.

I'll watch Jazz games if they are on, but if it isn't Utah, I'll just catch the scores later. Beyond the way the results affect the Jazz, I could care less about the rest of the NBA. Kobe and LeBron could collide at mid court and implode into a Charles Barkley clone, and I'd never know unless they showed it during a Jazz game.

But NCAA? I like the madness. I love watching underdogs take down the big timers. I think it's because I like fair play and I think that hard work pays better than a sense of entitlement. So it's fun to see some self-important, media darling program like North Carolina miss the tourney altogether, while Middle Tennessee State gets in.

When I think how wonderful a March Madness style tournament could be for football, it warms my heart. But there, the self-important, media darling teams have hijacked the game away from the NCAA and it galls me. For my money, it is the only point that Basketball wins over football.

So for a couple of days, I am glad to be a stay at home, bum of a husband. Because I get to watch the games.

As for the Challenge, a couple of things. First, I love my cousin Holly, but I can't believe her brothers are going to let her take down their house championship without filling out a bracket. I'm going to send Holly an email full of taunts, teases, and insulting heckles that she can use to make fun of you two. And Holly...I always did like you best(insert smiley face here).

Second, Squizzle is really smart, so his bracket is the test for what happens when you pick only the favorite according to seed. Puzilla is the champion of the underdog, so her bracket is the test for what happens should the lower seed always win,

Thanks to everyone who has entered, I will try to get some kind of prize for each of you, be it a Redbox rental, or a combo meal coupon, or something similar.

I'll post some updates later in the day, Happy Madness!

No comments:

Post a Comment