Thursday, April 8, 2010

Diary of a Mad Cubs Fan

Last night sucked.

Speaking strictly from a sports standpoint. The Jazz got blown out of the water (and the 2 seed in the West) by a mediocre Houston team, and my Cubbies were at it again in Atlanta.

Dempster pitched pretty well, but Giovanni "So-So" Soto was...so-so. In the bottom of the second, the Cubs had a chance for a strike-'em-out, throw-'em-out double play, but the throw was late and the secondbaseman dropped it. Instead of ending the inning, the next guy up shot a double down the line and it was 1-0 ATL.

Of course I grumbled and changed the channel, and the %$#! Jazz were already down by fifteen in the first half. Wow.

I put it back on the Cubs in time to see Alphonso "Sorry"-ano get a hit and then score a run. While he was on base I told the Boss, "Every time I watch Soriano run, I hold my breath. I keep waiting for his hamstring to snap like an old rubber band."

Seriously, the guy is a trip to the injured list waiting to happen. He has the weakest hamstrings this side of Carlos Boozer. His twigs are constantly on the verge of self destruction. If he isn't on the DL with some leg injury or another by the all-star break, I'll be stunned.

By the time the Boss left for her church assignment at ten to seven, things were looking up. The Jazz had cut the lead to 4 and the Cubbies were up 2-1 and Dempster was mowing down Braves with impunity.

"Maybe they'll win one", said the Boss as she got up to leave.

"I wouldn't hold my breath", I told her.

****Editor's Note
Due to time and space constraints we now take you forward to the bottom of the eight inning.
****

So by this time, the Jazz are back to down by twenty and the talking heads on ESPN are getting ruthless in their criticism of the Jazz road woes. I can't help but agree with them, but it still ticks me off. So I roll back to the Cubs just in time to watch the bottom of the eighth when Chipper Jones hit a 3-0 changeup from John Grabow so far that it still hasn't landed. Just like that, 2-1 becomes 2-3 and the Cubbies are doomed. Again.

The best part of the night (and I mean that in the most facetious way possible) was watching the Cubs send four guys to the plate in the ninth, down by a run and three of them struck out looking. Come on. At least take a cut at something. Three guys punch out LOOKING, and they're down by a run? You'd think they already didn't give a hangnail. I'd almost rather they lost by thirty again, just so I would only have to watch the first three innings before throwing up my dinner.

And speaking of dinner, I am led now to the "greatest" part of the night. I was flipping channels to see if there was anything on to take my mind off my lousy teams when I happened across "Top Chef" on Bravo. The Boss and I like to watch cooking shows on Food Network, but I'd never seen Top Chef before. They had these 4 star chefs competing and the first challenge was to make a gourmet meal out of ingredients they had to purchase at a gas station.

One of the teams made Macaroni and Cheetos!

I had stroke. Right there on the couch.

THOSE FILTHY BEGGARS STOLE MY RECIPE!!!!!!

I want it officially stated for the record that I thought of it first. Go read the post. Friday, March 12, 2010 titled "Best Idea Ever".

The Jazz ripped my heart out. The Cubbies took my legs, and Top Chef kicked me right in the mouth.

I gotta find a hobby.

3 comments:

  1. You could always become a Giants fan. They're 3-0 so far. I'm sure the good luck won't last long though! -Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not if I start cheering for them, it won't. I am a kiss of death for any team I cheer for.

    I'll settle for being happy for Jess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Mac and Cheeto's is the greates recipe you should write to let them know if they want more help just give you a call.

    ReplyDelete