Monday, November 16, 2009

And Now...Time for Something Else...

Well, I guess I can go two days without posting something, though I did think about new posts every couple of hours. This journal writing is addictive.

The weekend went pretty good though there were two bits of tribulation. First, the cellulitis infection in the Eldest's foot worsened and she had to go back to the instacare. They upped the antibiotic to something with a little more umph, which was fine except for that it meant the ten bucks we spent on the first antibiotic is now literally flushed down the tidy bowl (When did I become a skinflint?).

Second, the pie I baked for the Ward Harvest dinner was less than even my pathetic standard. I didn't know I was out of no-stick spray and I didn't have the Boss to send to the store (this is when not being allowed to drive really stinks), so I just buttered up the pie pan and hoped for the best. The result was an extra flaky crust that flat refused to come out of the pan. Very J.V. Several of the sisters told me that it was still a good pie, but I know better. The pie sucked out loud and I can do better. Oh well.

***Editors Note***
(If Vince and Jerry ever read that last paragraph, the Man Card suspension will become a revocation.)


Reaggers and Bub are back today, and Beak found out that her current assignment will have her working four days a week until January. So good news everyone, the blog will stay updated until at least then!

Reaggers has a little habit that always makes me laugh. When we watch cartoons in the morning, she is constantly asking to watch "something else". So I change it around a little, and still she'll say "I want to watch something else."

Beak explained to me that in Reaggers-speech, "something else" translates into Nick Jr. So when she says "something else", what she means is Max and Ruby, or worse, Little Bear.

Now I'm a cool kind of Dad. I bake, and wash dishes and do laundry (did I really just write that?). I truly can appreciate a good SpongeBob. Phineas and Ferb has its moments. And Fairly Oddparents is fall down hilarious. But Little Bear? Little Bear? Really?

I know it's cutesy, not funny; and that it's supposed to be educational. But if it is, then why does my IQ start dropping points I can't spare the moment it starts?

And let's take a moment to talk about Max and Ruby. Just where in the blinking #&!! are the parents of these little rabbits? I'm the worst parent ever, and even I know that if you leave a five year old sister in charge of a three year old brother, NOTHING GOOD CAN HAPPEN!!!

Who's running the show at that joint, AIG? There is zero parental supervision. Ruby has parties for all her friends. No one calls the cops. DCFS is no where to be seen. I'm not buying it. She tells Max to do something, and he doesn't screech "you not da boss a me!", he just obeys.

Are you kidding me?

And who exactly pays the mortgage on that little house of theirs? Nothing gets covered in crayon or finger paint or barbecue sauce. The drapes do not have paper dolls cut out of them with pinking shears, and the sink never fills with dirty dishes. The trash never looks like Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout lives there. I CALL BULL!!!

Is it really too much to ask for a little realism in an animated program about rabbits? I mean c'mon! It's not just me either. Mom is the one who pointed me in the direction of truth on this one. I think it is morally reprehensible that they put this stuff in front of my kids.

P.S. If "Something Else" is actually Little Bear and Max and Ruby, does that mean that the "Something Else" on the poll question means I'll get to roast bear and stew rabbit on Wednesday?

It's not too late to change your votes!!!!

2 comments:

  1. One grandson runs in the house and says, "Grandma I want a chocolate milk and a show". Then heads straight to the tv room. Usually it's Calliou or Curious George. I don't mind those. But Angelina Ballerina makes me NUTS

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have often wondered what was up with the lack of supervision in the Ruby and Max household. No wonder the 3 year old can only speak in one word "sentences." Something is definitely wrong in that household. I HATE Little Bear, but also Little Bill.

    ReplyDelete