Friday, November 13, 2009

We Have a Winner!


We were all sitting on the couch, quietly watching cartoons and I dozed off. Normally, this is a very bad thing. Five minutes is all these guys need to work their magic. Nearly every really gruesome experience I have had as a house dad begins with the words "I had only dozed for a second..."

On the other hand, with the eldest home today resting her bad wheel, I should have had some back up. Where were you on that one, Miss "I can be responsible?"

This time I got lucky. I heard 'em whispering and one of them said "Hide it, he's moving!" Again, these are not words that will elicit warm fuzzies of security in my mind. I snapped my eyes open and half shouted "Hide what? What are you into?"

There was a moments scramble as something was hidden under a blanket. Since I'm blind, I couldn't see what it was, but images of broken things, stuff covered in sticky goo, and anything involving a pair of siscors seemed to be the mental slideshow for the moment. I jumped up from the couch and pulled the blanket off of them for the big reveal, and found...

The jar of peanut butter.

Since there wasn't any smeared on anything (yet), I figure that I just dodged a MAJOR bullet. I pulled it away from them (accompanied by various cries and pleas of No! and Mine!).

I took it back into the kitchen and noticed one, single, perfect, runt finger sized swipe through the midle of the jar. I turned and knelt down by Reaggers and grabbed her hands. "If I smell peanut butter on these fingers, I'll know it was you that swiped the peanut butter!"

I got nothing and said "C'mere Bub, your next!" and as he was walking toward me Peff says "Um, I'm gonna go wash my hands for lunch..."

Then he took off down the stairs.

Busted!!!

1 comment:

  1. Remember, peanut butter is not Bub's friend. You'll truly be sorry if he gets his fingers in that jar. Besides Beak not being happy, that allergy he has displays in a not very good way!

    ReplyDelete