Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Why Destroying Angels?

I have a very firm belief that when God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah, He sent five year olds. No doubt in my mind. There is no more destructive force in the universe than a five year old. And when you gather them in groups, the sum of their destruction is more than the parts. They are indestructible.

Noah's Flood? A couple of toddlers in a bathtub, splashing for all they have. You wouldn't think that two inches of water in the tub translates into a foot and a half of water on the bathroom floor (and down the heat vent), but it does. Get a couple tub loads together, and suddenly Noah is VERY happy he has a boat.

The Walls of Jericho? The Lord just sent 30 or so five year olds into the city after letting them eat all their Halloween candy in one sitting and letting them stay up all night so they are sleep deprived. I'm telling you, those walls didn't fall down, they were pulled down by the people inside who couldn't wait for a gate to get away from that racket.

The toughest part of being a stay at home dad/ shiftless layabout has been discovering just how much constant supervision is required to just keep the house from collapsing. I clean a room, move to the next and by the time I go back, the first room looks like I never went in to begin with. It's impossible to keep up with.

When I tell Mom my daily tales of woe, she laughs and usually has a story that is nearly identical to what I've just told her from when I was a kid. Every parent has Destroying Angel stories, so I figured that I'd write mine down. Feel free to add your own tales of destruction to the comment sections when you get time, because I can use the sympathy and the laughs. Not to mention, I'm curious as H#!! if anyone is actually reading this stuff.

1 comment:

  1. I will say that much of what you describe truly has happened to me. I only need to reminesce briefly to recall the great canning jar bowling, or the horrendous scissor experiences many of you children blessed me with. Love the blog!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete