Thursday, November 12, 2009

When I Realized I'm Nuts

Couldn't let the day pass without something.

Beak took the kids today so me and the Boss could go out for a little. We went to lunch and a movie, and it was really nice to get out of the house. But the first thing we did was go to the bookstore, and that was when I had the epiphany that I am cuckoo. I know, I know. This is not news to ANY of you. But it was news to me.

At one point during our perusal of Barnes and Noble, it dawned upon me that I was seriously considering the pros and cons of spending ten bucks on either the Far Side Anthology or Milton's Paradise Lost. I would be willing to bet that I am the only person in the universe that held Far Side cartoons in one hand and one of the English language's masterworks in the other and wondered which was worthier of my time and money. It was seriously a toss up.

After three pages of Far Sides, I was in tears, they were so funny. Then I read the first stanzas of Paradise Lost and discovered two additional things. First, my mind is definitely craving something a little heavier than Far Side. And second, since the last thing I finished was Ulysses, it needed to be a little less heavy than Milton.

I settled on Hemingway since he was one of the guys that used to pal around with James Joyce in Paris and they have a lot of the same themes and influences. Besides, I haven't read Farewell to Arms in about 10 years and I forgot how good it is. I also grabbed Oscar Wilde's Picture of Dorian Gray because I haven't read that yet and the Boss says it's worth it. Hopefully a little good reading material will help keep me sane.

Tonight, we found ourselves at the instacare, as the Eldest has gotten another infection on her ankle and it was swollen to about double. The doc gave her some antibiotics and said she'd be alright in a day or two; though she gets to stay home from school tomorrow so I'll have a little help with the kids in the morning.

Lastly, be sure to check out the new feature, a poll! If it works the way I want it to, we'll get to vote on next weeks baking day treats.

Thanks for spending a little time reading my nonsense. I appreciate those of you who have shown support by following the blog or by posting comments. I look forward to seeing the responses you offer and I hope that I don't disappoint.

2 comments:

  1. I just read the Maltese Falcon because I had never read it. Not bad for a Sam Spade mystery

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read Hammett either, but I want to. I really like Robert Parker's Spencer novels, and he (Parker) swears that Hammett was the king of all detective novelists. Anyway the movie was awesome. Not as good as Key Largo, but still awesome.

    ReplyDelete